VMware Communities
IReallTryhard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New Guest problems No Internet or keyboard

Hi, I have a win7pro x64 guest running, almost.

I have installed the VMWare tools and adjusted the screen resolution as the mouse works OK. But, I have no keyboard input. This is a bit weird because the Mouse and Keyboard are a Logitec K270 RF-set that use a single Rx module on the win8.0 USB-Host. Mouse is good, keyboard doesn't do anything.

Next, there is no Internet connection. I have set the Network to "Home Network" and the wired network is working fine as I can connect from the Guest to other PCs on our home network.

What do I need to do to get this working so I can run windows update as it is a very old copy of win7.

My other VMs (win2000, XP) work fine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IReallTryhard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I finally solved the problem. It seems that because the Host machine is a laptop, the Synaptics touchpad drivers were installed at some point, or activated at some point.

I went into Programs and features and deleted everything I could see that was not needed for a VM Guest. All Synaptics stuff except anything directly related to the mouse. I also took out wifi drivers, BT-drivers, quick start crap, in fact everything I guessed was not really needed to run a VM version.

I am about to use the msoft VMDK converter and go back to VPC2007, which is a LOT more user friendly. Unfortunately that will not run in win8, so I will have to use an older win7 laptop. What a total waste of time with Player.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IReallTryhard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I now have the Internet working, but still no keyboard. But the Device Manager entry for Keyboard is now showing...

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the Registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Any help with that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried restoring to a earlier point in time with Windows 7 System Restore?

0 Kudos
IReallTryhard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Woody, but there were no restore points set as it is a new win7 install. I have activated Restore Points from here on out though.

I have managed to install tightvnc with a Batch file and can now access it remotely via the TNCViewer on my win8 laptop. At least I can now enter keystrokes until I can find out what is going on.

On the other Guests (2000, XP etc), the Device Manager shows the keyboard as a standard PS2 as does the win7, but the win7 has a yellow exclamation mark and the above error in Properties even though it shows it has the latest and correct driver.

With the VNC, it installed 27 Updates but still no keyboard. I have to think this is a Player issue. But, I have been wrong before.

0 Kudos
IReallTryhard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I finally solved the problem. It seems that because the Host machine is a laptop, the Synaptics touchpad drivers were installed at some point, or activated at some point.

I went into Programs and features and deleted everything I could see that was not needed for a VM Guest. All Synaptics stuff except anything directly related to the mouse. I also took out wifi drivers, BT-drivers, quick start crap, in fact everything I guessed was not really needed to run a VM version.

I am about to use the msoft VMDK converter and go back to VPC2007, which is a LOT more user friendly. Unfortunately that will not run in win8, so I will have to use an older win7 laptop. What a total waste of time with Player.

0 Kudos