VMware Communities
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New BUG: VMWare keeps file in Temp when drag and drop files

Not sure if it is new, but I have never notice this before, just when I updated to version 16.1.1.

Now when doping files, regardless to the guest or to the host, VMWare will not delete the files from the Temp folder regardless if it the guest or the host.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

It's nothing new. When dragging and dropping large files, you need to keep on cleaning your Temp. It helps, if you assign only one TEMP/TMP, like c:\temp, in your Windows environment variables.

The new thing - not sure since when - it seems that with no Ubuntu Linux variant (like Kubuntu and Studio), drag&drop between Host & Guest works anymore. Let me know, if it works in some case or somehow.

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, as I said not sure if it is new, but it is for sure a bug, files should be deleted from the Temp folder once the drag and drop done.

I don't use this feature, in fact it was a coincidence that I transferred a big file and noticed it, otherwise I will not notice it. But there were no other files in the Temp folder, it could be cause Microsoft started cleaning the temp folder in recent releases from Windows. so no need to clean the temp folder.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

I don't think this is a bug, but an unwanted functionality.

As for Windows - it has accumulated files in TEMP always. It is even worse than that, since System has its own temp and every user their own temp. Many applications write important temporary files in System temp. If you look at a careless end user computer they may have 10 000+ files in TEMP and complain about sluggish performance. Some people even store their own files there.

This is of course just horrible since early UNIX perspective, when temp is cleaned in every boot. If you would clean all the Windows temp files in reboot, I think that would cause law suites for disappearing user files. Like in many other cases, Windows bad functionality has become the surreal reality.

But of course VMware could do it for its own files, if they would want to.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think vmware should fix this, Temp folder is called Temp for a very good reason! Not to mention the extra disk activity copying the file instead of moving the file, it was very poorly programmed feature.

Not sure if it will be changed anytime soon, I was expecting fixing this https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/BUG-4GB-Graphic-memory-will-be-reserved-... in the 16.1.1 as it a very important issue but it was not

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems the issue has been fixed in Windows guests with the new version 16.1.2 and the tools 11.2.6, I hope someone can confirm

In Linux the files are still in the folder \tmp\

I hope it will be addressed in Linux as well as copy files instead of moving them will take extra space in the storage not to mention the extra disk activity. I think it will be fixed when open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop packages are is updated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

@jen2 
Do you mean that your Linux distro does not delete files in a reboot? I would expect that to happen, since that was the norm already at Unix. Ubuntu Studio 20.04.x seems to do it for external files - just tried with a couple of files.

Windows OS leaves everything in "temp", as discussed earlier on.

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try with the new version 16.1.2?

The files are delete in Linux when rebooting, the issue is when dragging files to the guest VMware will copy files from tmp to the desire location, which will take extra disk storage and extra disk activity.

In Windows guests now, the dropped files are now moved from the Temp folder instead of copying them, which is much faster than copying the files.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

No, I did not try with the new version.

What you describe is what I expected from your previous post. Move instead of Copy, would be nice on Linux, too.

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That would be nice, I dragged a 5GB file to Windows 10 x86 guest, and I prepared myself to a 10GB increase in the disk size and lots of disk activity. but once finished dragging the file, only 5GB disk size increased and no disk activity, I check the temp and no files were there. I tested with small files and all were moved from the Temp.

I tested in Kali and Ubuntu, both kept the file in the \tmp\ , it would be nice if it is fixed there too

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just noticed that VMWare will keep the file in the host temp when dropping files to host. I really hope they can fix this as well as Linux

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is totally edited post.

I installed VMWare toold 11.3, tested on both the host and the guest and both moved files from the Temp folder, which was great.

I installed Windows update version 19043.1081, and restarted, tried to copy data to the guest and they were copied not moved, which is bad, I tested copy files to the host and also were copied from the temp and not moved, not sure what happened but it is worse now.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

It's pretty confusing that depending on Windows 10 version, it either works or doesn't work. That kind of behavior is nothing new for Windoes and it must run developers crazy.

But now they "leaked" that a new Windows 11 Operating System will arrive soon. Everything will be SO much better then, right? (sarcaism warning)

jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know what is going on, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updated VMware tools to version 11.3.5 and the issue is still there.

Not sure if it is a bug, but for sure it impacts both performance and hardware

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updated to VMWare tools 12.0.6 and this bug still not fixed, big files are still copied from the Temp folder and kept their 😞 huge disk activities and waste of times and storage

Seriously someone can help, there is no way to report bugs in the site, and

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updated VMware Tools to 12.1.0, still copying the files instead of moving them 😞

0 Kudos