VMware Communities
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network connection on VMware-player 5.0.2 - build 1031769

Hi

One of our work stations is end of life hardware-wise (runs WinPro 7 32 bit which is fine) but rather than giving my operative a new box to learn I've picked up VM player (VMware-player 5.0.2 - build 10317690 and converter.

Then I've found a new box, (an IBM laptop - X61 running W7 Ultimate with wifi and in a docking station) loaded up a spare Windows 7 licence, loaded  player, run converter on the old box and can now "play" the old box as a VM  on the new box.  VMware tools version 9 is installed.

However, while the new box has internet access (wired in our Windows domain) the old box in the player does not.

The new box shows three connections in /network connections - the LAN connection and to VMware "virtual Ethernet adaptors" - the latter two are set to DHCP - one for wireless and one wired I assume - the new box is a laptop in a docking station.

The old box VM has a bridged connection in VM setting with replicate physical network settings ticked and the wired adaptor showing ticked  in the configure adaptors box

The Windows 7 the VM does not connect to the network or the internet.

I've found http://communities.vmware.com/message/321617 which suggests running <vmnetcfg>

But I cannot find a copy of vmnetcfg that works here!

All help welcome

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No one any ideas?

Perhaps i'd just better buy a new PC!

0 Kudos
rulmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many virtual adapters does the VM have? If there are three, I would assume that they are: VMNet0 should be the default bridged adapter, VMNet1 would be a host only adapter, and VMNet8 would be the NAT adapter. The VMNet0 adapter should be set up for DHCP from the 'old box VM', not a static address. Static addresses are fine to use, but you need to be sure there are no duplicates.

Also, you might try disabling any firewall / anti-virus / network protection on the host. It may be preventing the bridging on VMNet0.

If there is only one adapter in the old box VM, try setting it from bridged to NAT if the host machine can get to the internet.

Good luck.

Bob

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks - helpful

Two virtual adaptors in tghe host for two real items - one WiFi, one network  - both set to DHCP as they were originally set to some strange IP range that differs from our internal 192.168.15.xxx.

There are no adaptors in the old box (VM)  now - should there be?  Originally it only had one tho'

The host has MS Anti-virusstuff   - neverthought of that - was more concerned with   theVM as it has Avira Anti Virus on it  - but have turnedallthat off to no effect - now to try MS on the host

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK - the new box ( real machine)  only has Windoze firewall just now and that is off.

The VM has Avira Pro again all turned  off

The VM has two network adaptors set up in the realbox but there are none in the VM itself .....adaptors 1 & 8 both set to DHCP

Just wondering about setting up another XP VM as a test

again any more thoughts?

0 Kudos