Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network connection - bridged NOT working

Please help on this

I setup a VM

Host system: windows 7

Guest system: fedora 16

I want to use bridged mode for network connection setup.

So I choice this in the virtual machine settings->hardware->Network adapter->Network connection->bridged

Here is the IP address configuration

host system

IP address: 10.0.1.100

netmask: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 10.0.1.1

guest system

IP address: 10.0.1.101

netmask: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 10.0.1.1

The result is guest system cannot access to Internet

Guest can ping itself (10.0.1.101) and host (10.0.1.100)

However it cannot ping the gateway

Host system is normal

It can ping itself(10.0.1.100) and guest 10.0.1.101 and gateway.

Also it can access the Internet.

Can anyone help on this?

Is there anything I miss on the configuration?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

there could be several reasons for this.

• How many NICs (wired/wireless) do you have in your system? If you have more than one, make sure you configure the Bridged Network in the "Virtual Network Editor" to use a dedicated NIC rater than "Automatic".
  • Do you use a managed physical switch? Some switches have port security enabled by default, which limits the number of MAC addresses on a single switch port.
  • Do you have Firewall or Endpoint Protection SW installed on the system? Make sure the traffic is not blocked by one of these applications.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

there could be several reasons for this.

• How many NICs (wired/wireless) do you have in your system? If you have more than one, make sure you configure the Bridged Network in the "Virtual Network Editor" to use a dedicated NIC rater than "Automatic".
  • Do you use a managed physical switch? Some switches have port security enabled by default, which limits the number of MAC addresses on a single switch port.
  • Do you have Firewall or Endpoint Protection SW installed on the system? Make sure the traffic is not blocked by one of these applications.

André

0 Kudos
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please make sure that you have cinfigure same block IP address as on your host OS. First try to ping your host os then your gateway.

abirhasan 
0 Kudos
RiceWong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi a.p.

Thank you for your reply.

I finally find out the problem is on the switch port which only accept one MAC.

I have already changed the switch port configuration and everything working fine.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
AndyBarlow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This problem has been driving me nuts. i have looked at just about  every web entry on this subject and the bridge network still wouldnt  work.

I work in a corp env and it turned out to be that the port  security on the network switch would only allow one mac address per  device per port. The switch is a Cisco 3750. I used Cisco Network  Assistant to connect to the switch and changed the maximum address count  for my port from 1 to 100. I did an "ipconfig /renew" on the Windows 7 guest and the dhcp address worked straight away and bridged networking is now working.

It was the post by RiceWong that put me on the right track.

So if you are at work and bridging stops working or has never worked this may be the reason.

Good luck to everyone.

0 Kudos