VMware Communities
sagimann
Contributor
Contributor

Network bridge on device VMnet0 is not running

Hello,

I'm new to VMWare player, I'm using v2.5.3, and I can't seem to get the Eth NIC to work from within the VM. I'm getting an error msg trying to start up any VM that I downloaded:

"Network bridge on device VMnet0 is not running" appears at the bottom of the screen as soon as the VM boots.

Note I've read some other posts on the subj, but could not find a solution yet. I suspect this is not a problem in VM configuration, but in the Player installation? Can anyone help shed some light on this?

tnx

Some diag into that may help:

- My host is Vista without any SPs

- UAC is turned off (it was a suggestion in one of the posts)

- I tried uninstalling/cleanup/installing VMWare at least 2 times. I used the /c cmdline switch to make the cleanup

- when I look in Device Manager, I only see 2 logical VMWare adapters: VMNet1 and VMNet8. I don't know whether this is expected or not.

- when I run vmnetcfg (network editor), the "auto detect NIC for VMNet0" is checked and grayed out, and all NIC lists are empty

- in Device Manager, besides the VMWare stuff, I only see:

1 physical NIC (relatech)

Microsoft Loopback Adapter

Juniper Network Connect Virtual Adapter (I use this to create VPN that I need to work from home)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Check the VMware Bridge protocol is installed in host NIC settings

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

Run cmd.exe as admin inside "vmware player" directory and execute;

"vnetlib.exe -- install bridge"

Joakim

0 Kudos
sagimann
Contributor
Contributor

In Vista, I went to:

Network -> properties -> manage connections -> chose the "Local Area Connection" that corresponds to my physical NIC (there are 2 more: MS Loopback Adapter and Juniper VPN)

went to its properties, and all I see is this:

- Client for Microsoft Networks

- Symantec Network Security Intermediate Filter Driver

I also tried running cmd.exe as admin, and executed vnetlib.exe -- install bridge

I can see that when it launches, Virtual Network Editor starts minimized and disappears after a second or so, but that's it - it did not affect the settings of the NIC card above.

any further ideas?

note I attached the installation log in the original message, maybe it contains any relevant explanation?

thanks.

0 Kudos
samwyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue after upgrading. Re-booting the VM apparently fixed it.

0 Kudos