VMware Communities
Shmitch
Contributor
Contributor

Need to use a specified address range in Player 7

I use Player7 to VPN into a network.  It mostly works well, but some functionality (e.g., auto-launching java applets) requires "split tunneling" which is only possible on this network if my Player7's IP addresses are in the range of 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.9.0/24.  The default network segment for my VMnet8 is 192.168.19.0/24.  The host OS is Win10pro.  The guest OS is Win7 Ultimate.

• I have tried specifying static addressing on VMnet8 adapter in the host OS, but it didn't change the default network segment. 
  • I also tried specifying static addressing on the Local Area Connection in the guest OS, but this didn't work either . . . though I don't remember exactly how it didn't work at this point. 
  • Additionally, I tried setting the adapter to bridge mode (Player > Manage > Virtual Machine Settings > Hardware > Network Adapter), but this resulted in my not being able to connect to my local network (disconnected), let alone VPN into the remote network. 
    • It has an option to Configure Adapters, but that option only displays a selection box with nothing to select which does not seem useful.
  • I even tried editing C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetnat.conf, vmnetdhcp.conf & vmnetdhcp.leases by replacing 192.168.19.xxx with 192.168.3.xxx, but that didn't change the default network segment either.
  • I tried so many things that Player7 stopped connecting to the network and and had to uninstall and reinstall it to get it working again.

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You need to use the Virtual Network Editor - not included with Player, but only the Full Workstation.  Search the forum for how to get and install it with your Player - it works just fine, the files just are not part of the Player installation package.

0 Kudos
Shmitch
Contributor
Contributor

There is now a Workstation 12 Player and a Workstation 12 Pro.  Which Workstation?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The full Workstation Pro (formerly Workstation), not the Workstation Player (formerly Player). 

0 Kudos