VMware Communities
ShaolinFo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need to recovered operating system

Hi Guys,

Im using vmware player and installed ubuntu as my OS. When I was in the terminal I accidently did the following :

cd Desktop/OSX_Theme/icons

mv /* /usr/share/icons

Basically what I did was move everything (/) into the icons directory (which itself is a subdir of /) - Now that has completely messed up my OS and I can even boot up. I had some important work which I need. I dont care about the OS I just want my work. I've tried to mount the OS as a virtual drive but I keep getting 'Do you want to format now?' - Im hoping there is a solution to this. Anyone have any ideas ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since Player does not have the option to create virtual machines you will need to download a 30 eval of Workstation or the free VMware Server.

What I am saying is to create a new virtual machine in another directory location using one of the products listed above. Install the same Linux OS in this new virtual machine. Once you have this VM working, you can power it off and select "VM" -> "settings" -> Hard Disk -> "Add" button -> "Use an existing virtual disk" to add a second virtual disk to this new virtual machine configuration. Now you could power on this VM and from the Linux OS mount the second virtual disk to recover your data.

In the future you may want to backup your VM on a regular bases, this is simple to do since the VM is just a set of files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

fyi..this post has been moved to the VMware Player forum

Eric Siebert

VMTN User Moderator[/url]

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Create a new Linux VM and add this virtual disk as a second virtual disk to try and recover your data.

0 Kudos
ShaolinFo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just to clarify, do you mean move the corrupt vm files into another linux setup and then create a virtual drive ?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since Player does not have the option to create virtual machines you will need to download a 30 eval of Workstation or the free VMware Server.

What I am saying is to create a new virtual machine in another directory location using one of the products listed above. Install the same Linux OS in this new virtual machine. Once you have this VM working, you can power it off and select "VM" -> "settings" -> Hard Disk -> "Add" button -> "Use an existing virtual disk" to add a second virtual disk to this new virtual machine configuration. Now you could power on this VM and from the Linux OS mount the second virtual disk to recover your data.

In the future you may want to backup your VM on a regular bases, this is simple to do since the VM is just a set of files.

0 Kudos
ShaolinFo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you sooooooooooo much \!!! I almost lost a year's worth of coding and its a relief to find it intact. Thanks x1000000 :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

fyi...don't forget to award Kevin points for helping you using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

http://www.vmware.com/community/help.jspa#awardrp

0 Kudos