VMware Communities
borgesp08
Contributor
Contributor

Need help with printing

Running VMware Workstation Player 16. Host is Windows 10. Guest OS is Windows XP Pro. I cannot figure out how to print from within the guest OS. A printer is supposedly connected and on (according to the virtual machine settings) but no printers are seen in any applications. I don't know what else is needed to make the host printers available to the quest. Appreciate any insight.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
borgesp08
Contributor
Contributor

Update to my request..

This is what I have done so far:

Enabled virtual printing on the host

Found a post that said I needed to install the virtual printer application via Player--> Manage-->Install Virtual Printer

This choice does not exist for me, here is what my menu looks like:

manage menu.png

So I tried to run the virtual printer installer manually from the iso and I get this:

Win32 error.png

I am hoping this additional information will lead to a response, thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure you have thinprint enabled in the vmx-file.

Ulli

0 Kudos
borgesp08
Contributor
Contributor

I believe this is what you asking?

Virtual printers enabled.png

If there is anything else needed to enable thinprint I do not know what it is.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A screenshot is not a vmx-file.

Pllease dont answer with "what is a vmx-file ?" or with a screenshot of your vmx-file.

0 Kudos
borgesp08
Contributor
Contributor

I could have just told you that I had enabled thinprint, I thought a screenshot was better. Sorry if that is not the case. I do know what a vmx file is but if I didn't, I am not sure why I wouldn't ask. 

My issue is that I have followed (or tried to) all the steps to enable virtual printing but as previously stated (and shown in a screenshot) my menu does not have the choice it is supposed to have to install a virtual printer. 

What would be helpful is a suggestion on why that might be.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

vmplayer is a ripped version of Workstation.

So some functions are missing in the GUI - thats why a VMplayer-user that knows where his vmx-file is - will very likely be a happier user.

To enable thinprint you set:

serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
serial0.present = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
borgesp08
Contributor
Contributor

Both of those lines are present in my vmx file so that is not the issue.

In addition to enabling thinprint I believe you also have to install the virtual printer application. Since I couldn't do this from the menu I mounted the iso where the installer could be found and tried to run it from there. Based on the error I got I can only conclude that the install won't work in a 32bit guest. 

Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
kimbobs
Contributor
Contributor

I have not found a solution to this problem. Starting with version 15 it seems that the Virtual Printer functionality is not provided within VMware Tools and you must install the VMware Virtual Printer application separately in the guest OS as you have attempted.

I think the problem is the Virtual Printer application only supports OS of Windows 7 and later. See this document link: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-FD49E745-306B-43...

The last version that worked for me with Windows XP guest was Workstation Player 12.5.9. This worked with host Win 10 version 1909 but Windows update will not install the next Win 10 version 2004 until Workstation Player 12.5.9 is uninstalled. It states the app is not compatible with Windows 10. In order to keep my printing capability I don't want to uninstall Player 12.5.9.

If you or anyone found or finds a solution let me know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
borgesp08
Contributor
Contributor

Appreciate the response - I will have to accept the fact that what I was trying to accomplish just isn't possible. 

0 Kudos