VMware Communities
Andrew800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need help using Win 7 and Ghost from VM

I was successful at making an image of Windows 7 (x86) run as a Virtual Machine on the network.  I changed the VM network card from NAT to Bridged and poof, it was on the network and recognized by the Ghostcast server when I booted the VM in PXE mode.  I added other software to the Win 7 VM, then successfully captured the image in Ghost.  Now... I would like to be able to use that customized Windows 7 VM image to deploy to a few physical Dell Optiplex 790 machines and perhaps other machines that are not 790s also, and perhaps have differently configured versions of Win 7 Virtual Machines available for deployment to a few different types of machines for various department deployments.

I tried to deploy the image as-is to the 790 as a test, but after the transfer completed, the 790 kept rebooting and prompted to run Startup Repair, which after running for several minutes stated that it could not fix the problem.  I'm assuming this is due to hardware differences and/or driver issues.

Is there some way to make the Windows 7 VM so generic that it could at least boot up and/or prompt for drivers needed on any machine capable of running Win 7 rather than having at least one of each type of physical computer to build as the model first?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This really is not a VMware issue pre se.  In other words whether or not you build an image on a Virtual Machine or a Physical Machine if you plan to migrate that image to different systems then you need to follow Microsoft's guidelines and best practices for deploying the target Microsoft OS in that manner.

0 Kudos