VMware Communities
dr01dmasta
Contributor
Contributor

NVIDIA 1650s, Kali-Linux guest. Windows 10 Home host. GPU for brute-forcing?

I'm new to VMWare, studying for the OSCP using the recommended setup. VMWare Workstation 16 player and Kali ISO. I'm running into issues getting GPU to work for brute-forcing though I've got it being read by VMWare by enabling "Accelerate 3d Graphics". I have used CUDA to make this work in WSL2. Kali has it as not recommended to use CUDA drivers in VM's and all the threads I've found thus far relating to doing this are pretty outdated but said it wasn't possible due to not having PCIe passthrough. I was wondering what the best path is. I've seen stuff about vSphere and Horizon but it mainly pertains to cloud services and my GPU doesn't seem to be on the list of approved hardware. Any advice on what to try? Wanted to consult someone before I dive down a rabbit hole as I need to get back to studying A.S.A.P

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
darksidemaze
Contributor
Contributor

Some nVidia cards in their nVidia control panel let you set if the graphics card can be used for graphics and compute activities or just graphics only.

Maybe track down if that setting exists on your graphics card, see what it is set to and toggle it to see if YMMV.

When you are clever, you can use graphics card to bypass the normal Intel/AMD CPU route for getting code to be processed to do stuff. This nVidia setting controls what the graphics card will do.

0 Kudos