osalem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NAT and network Configuration in VM Player 6

Hi,

In version 5 i used to run
                        rundll32.exe vmnetui.dll VMNetUI_ShowStandalone 

In version 6 i have no clue !!! anyone ??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Of course I tried the workaround by copying the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files from VMware Workstation 10 to a system only having VMware Player 6 installed and modified VMnets with it otherwise I wouldn't have posted what I did! Smiley Wink

Additionally I used appropriate utilities to examine .exe and .dll files of appropriate sizes in both VMware Workstation 10 and VMware Player 6 to examine the function calls available in each and did not find the necessary call(s) in VMware Player 6's .exe or .dll files to replicate what the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files from VMware Workstation 10 can do.  While I admit it was a quick review nonetheless I'm confident that the way to access a fully functional Virtual Network Editor GUI in VMware Player 6 is to use the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files from VMware Workstation 10.

I am not the least bit surprised that VMware completely removed the Virtual Network Editor GUI in the VMware Player 6 release!

Message was edited by: WoodyZ...  Also note that prior to WS10 only the vmnetcfg.exe file was required and I did not test the pre-WS10 vmnetcfg.exe file to see if it too can work in VMware Player 6.  When I get a chance I'll have to test that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware has removed the vmnetui.dll from VMware Player 6 and in VMware Workstation 10 has now implemented vmnetcfglib.dll in conjunction with vmnetcfg.exe where in the past vmnetcfg.exe was the only file required under VMware Workstation.    I've done a quick analysis of the remaining .dll files in the VMware Player 6 install and it doesn't appear there is a .dll that can be called in the same manner like in VMware Player 5, so all I can suggest is copying the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files from a VMware Workstation 10 install to the VMware Player 6.0 working directory.

osalem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Guys,,

if someone do have anywork around appreciate your direct Contact

Osama Salem

ohamdy@hotmail.com

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there something you didn't understand in my first reply?  I've already given you the workaround and this is all the direct contact you need on this issue! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
osalem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply ,,,

Have you tried your work around ? is it working ?

i tried to follow as much as i can - but could not over come the number of missing files and libraries it is asking for.

or am i doing something worng .

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Of course I tried the workaround by copying the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files from VMware Workstation 10 to a system only having VMware Player 6 installed and modified VMnets with it otherwise I wouldn't have posted what I did! Smiley Wink

Additionally I used appropriate utilities to examine .exe and .dll files of appropriate sizes in both VMware Workstation 10 and VMware Player 6 to examine the function calls available in each and did not find the necessary call(s) in VMware Player 6's .exe or .dll files to replicate what the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files from VMware Workstation 10 can do.  While I admit it was a quick review nonetheless I'm confident that the way to access a fully functional Virtual Network Editor GUI in VMware Player 6 is to use the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files from VMware Workstation 10.

I am not the least bit surprised that VMware completely removed the Virtual Network Editor GUI in the VMware Player 6 release!

Message was edited by: WoodyZ...  Also note that prior to WS10 only the vmnetcfg.exe file was required and I did not test the pre-WS10 vmnetcfg.exe file to see if it too can work in VMware Player 6.  When I get a chance I'll have to test that.

0 Kudos
osalem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are absolutly right - in fact i'm the one surrprised of this level of support i'm getting over this forum  Smiley Happy

thank you sir - it was my mistake. (the first try i was trying to extract from the installation .exe file) - done as you described and working like a charm

0 Kudos
lezim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi !

I can confirm this works well, but a few things has to be explain to deal with VMware Workstation 10 :

- First, One have to download it from the VMWare servers (find out link in the products tab)

- Then unpack it locally with this command :"VMWare-worksation-full-10.0.1-xxxxxx.exe /e .\ext", note the xxxxxx is the release id you got at download Smiley Happy

- then open the "core.cab" , as it can be done for a zip or so.

* get the "vmnetcfg.exe" from there, and copy it to the vmwareplayer install directory.

* get the "_vmnetcfglib.dll" file and rename it "vmnetcfglib.dll", and then copy it to the same directory than for vmnetcfg.exe

Have fun.

0 Kudos
r0deca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It does not work for me. Well, kinda.

1. When I get those two files from a installed Workstation 10 (another computer) and copy them to my Player folder, I get an error related to vmwarebase.dll. May be it is a problem with versions:

- WS-10:       vmnetcfglib.dll version 10.0.1.41495     (WS 10.0.1 build-1379776)

- Player-6:   vmwarebase.dll version 10.0.1.40273      (player 6.0.0 build-1295980)

2. When I map \\pc-with-VMW-WS10\c$ to X: at mi PC and run X:\...\vmnetcfg.exe (directly from Explorer), it works.

3. When I copied vmwarebase.dll from WS-10 to Player-6, everything goes bad (of course)

So, I can start vmnetcfg (I'm not completely lost), but only while I can reach that WS10 installed PC.

Any hint?

Thank you

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

r0deca wrote: 3. When I copied vmwarebase.dll from WS-10 to Player-6, everything goes bad (of course)

It is the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll files not the vmwarebase.dll file, so you're copying the wrong files! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
r0deca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, Woody; I would have said: "I copied vmwarebase.dll too" (after copying vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll), as the error pointed to certain offset in that library (just a long shot :smileysilly: ).

Moreover: there was a mistake in version number of my Player-6 dll:

WS-10:    vmnetcfglib.dll       version 10.0.1.41495     (WS 10.0.1 build-1379776) Same version for vmnetcfg.exe.

Player-6:   vmwarebase.dll    version 10.0.0.40273      (player 6.0.0 build-1295980) Same version for most of dll

I'll try Player 6.0.1: surely it'll fix this. I'll keep you informed 😉

Thank you again

Mensaje editado por: rodeca

Tried 6.0.1. Success! :smileygrin:

(version of dll are the same that in WS10.0.1:  10.0.1.41495 )

0 Kudos
deenn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok for my 6.0.1, but...

heh, this method failed for player 6.0.2

vmwarebase.dll 10.0.2.46408

10.0.2 build 1744117

vmplayer.exe 10.0.2.46408

10.0.2 build 1744117

vmnetcfglib.dll, vmnetcfg.exe 10.0.0141495

10.0.1. build 1379776

where can I find newer? ((

yah, just 1 click of update is real fuckup with downgrade to 6.0.1

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

deenn wrote: where can I find newer?

I just tested installing VMware Player from the VMware-player-6.0.2-1744117.exe file and then extracted vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetcfglib.dll from the core.cab file from an extracted VMware-workstation-full-10.0.2-1744117.exe file placing them in the working directory of VMware Player and The Virtual Network Editor works without issue!  Note that the VMware Player executable and the two extracted files for the Virtual Network Editor are all the same version, 10.0.2.46408! Smiley Wink

Suburban
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked like a champ! Thanks WoodyZ

0 Kudos
j4egerschnitzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately this does not work with VMware Workstation 11. Is there a solution?

0 Kudos
maitrefou
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

just tested for vmware player 12 free.

I extracted vmnetcfg.exe from Core.cab (of vmware workstation pro 12), placed it in vmware player directory, and It runs just fine !

(no other files required for me).

I  hope it can help someone else.

0 Kudos