VMware Communities
Hulumu
Contributor
Contributor

NAT & No Connection

I have VMPlayer 4.0.4 running on Win7 x64 with Windows SBS 2008 on a VM. Since I don't want SBS 2008 to act as a DHCP I chose NAT instead of bridged mode. To do the configuration I copied the content of network.cab to program files (x86)\vmware\vmware player. Note that vmnetmgr.dll is 0 bytes. I then started vmnetcfg.exe and for vmnet8 under NAT Settings... added host port=80, type=tcp, VM IP addr: 192.168.189.3 (that's what is listed in the settings of the network 'card' on SBS 2008) and VM port 80. I expected that this way I can at least get internet access but I still have the same error that "The network adapter 'Local area connection' does not have a valid IP configuration'. Any input is appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the NAT rules are only needed to access the VM from another system. A VM configured with NAT usually has Internet access through the host's network.

From the IP address you mentioned (192.168.189.3) it looks like this has been configured manually. Please post the output of ipconfig /all for the host (Windows 7) as well as for the guest (SBS 2008) and also post a screen shot of the Virtual Network Editor (the NAT/VMnet8 settings).

André

Hulumu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Andre. I did actually not set the IP address manually. The only thing that I think I changed is setting it to NAT. In any case, ipconfig did give me "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible". I then did a

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log

After rebooting I still did not have any access. Checking the network adapter again the IP address was still set on static but now with no entries. I changed that to dynamic and after that everything worked.

0 Kudos