VMware Communities
redoak716
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My external USB hard drive was not recognized. Fix?

The subject line tells it all.

It is important that I have access to the XHDD. What am I missing that will make this possible through a USB connection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Feihong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok. When you connect your XHDD to the WinXP, you should be able to see it using My Computer.

You should also see an icon along with your CD-ROM, disk, nextwork, and speaker icons at the bottom corner of the WS7 like the following.

pastedImage_6.png

Right click on the XHDD icon next to the speaker icon, and select Connect (Disconnect from the host) to disconnect your XHDD from the host (WinXP) and connet to the VM (WS7). You can also right click on the icon and Disconnect (Connect to the host) to pass the XHDD back to WinXP.

Hope this helps.

- Awarding points if you think it is "Helpful" and/or "Correct"

EMCSyA EMCIE EMCPE - Awarding points if you think it is "Helpful" and/or "Correct"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Feihong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What's the OS of the VM where you want to connect to the USB XHDD?

EMCSyA EMCIE EMCPE - Awarding points if you think it is "Helpful" and/or "Correct"
0 Kudos
redoak716
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The OS is Ws "XP HOME". "The host is Ws 7".

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Feihong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok. When you connect your XHDD to the WinXP, you should be able to see it using My Computer.

You should also see an icon along with your CD-ROM, disk, nextwork, and speaker icons at the bottom corner of the WS7 like the following.

pastedImage_6.png

Right click on the XHDD icon next to the speaker icon, and select Connect (Disconnect from the host) to disconnect your XHDD from the host (WinXP) and connet to the VM (WS7). You can also right click on the icon and Disconnect (Connect to the host) to pass the XHDD back to WinXP.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
redoak716
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All is working properly. I believe the problem was caused by connecting the XHDD at the wrong time.

Should I activate it (turn power on) after I connect to the USB port? I think the first time I already had it powered up when I made the USB connection.

cgs716

0 Kudos
Feihong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Either way should be ok as it's a plug&play device. However, some of the XHDD with smart power managment use the USB connection to determine if the XHDD should be powered on/off. So, you may connect the USB cable first.

Besides, I have seen problems of connecting XHDD when the drive letter is occupied by other network driver. Once the network drive is disconnected, XHDD is recognised.

Good luck.

0 Kudos