VMware Communities
jruff
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse problem, Linux hosts, Windows Guests

I am using VMware Player 3.0.1 and various distributions of Linux (OpenSuSE 11.2, Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mint 8, PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Gnome) with various window managers (OpenBox, LXDE, Gnome, KDE4) and several guests (Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro, Windows 7 Pro). All of the Linux kernels are between 2.6.28 and 2.6.31. CPU hardware includes AMD Athlon 64-2100, AMD Athlon 64 x2-3800 and AMD Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition. I have had VMware Tools from (c)2005 up through the current release installed.

When the mouse is moving in the VM, the bottom status bar constantly flickers between "Ctrl-G to grab" and "Crtrl-Alt to release" and it is virtually impossible to click on anything. The mouse works OK when not in the VM. These are separate host systems and at least 15 Windows VMs have been tried.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2-5200+ system with OpenSuSE 10.3 (kernel 2.6.22-19) and VMware Player 3.0.1 installed and these very same VMs work just fine on it.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

TIA,

john

0 Kudos
1 Reply
heartburn
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem in VMWare Workstation 6.5. Just started happening a few days ago.

When I move the mouse over a running VM, the statusbar flickers, the vmware-vmx, xfwm4, and X processes start consuming all the CPU. When I move the mouse out, it returns to normal after a few seconds.

I'm running Gentoo with an Intel processor.

0 Kudos