VMware Communities
klui2k1
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse focus problem

Hello:

I'm using Player 2.5.3 build-185404 hosted on Server 2003 with a config.version 8/virtualHW.version 7 VM running XP SP3. The VM has VMWare Tools 7.8.5 build-156735 installed.

I run dual monitors and the VM is on a secondary monitor maximized. Whenever I close a window on my main monitor and focus automatically shifts to VMWare Player, my cursor moves away from the main monitor and back to the secondary.

This behavior never occurred under Player 2.0.5 build-109488 and config.version 8/virtualHW.version 3 before I used Converter 4.0.1 build-161434 to upgrade.

How can I change the mouse driver to have the old behavior?

Drivers:

HID-compliant mouse driver: 5.1.2600.0 Instance id: HID\VID_0E0F&PID_0003&MI_00\8&3460D90F&0&0000

HID-compliant mouse driver: 5.1.2600.0 Instance id: HID\VID_0E0F&PID_0003&MI_01\8&BF62B46&0&0000

VMware Pointing Device driver: 12.4.0.2 Instance id: ACPI\PNP0F13\4&5289E18&0

I noticed there is a new usb device for mouse that was not there before in the vmx file.

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

The old VM only has VMware Pointing Device driver: 12.0.0.0. Could I possibly remove the mouse entry in the vmx and revert to the old behavior? There's also:

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TallTomD
Contributor
Contributor

Have you ever found a solution for this? I'm using Player 3.01 and this is making me insane! I have the same setup. Player VM runs on an external 2nd monitor. Every time I minimize or close a window in my host OS the focus is shifted to the VM, and on top of that it moves my mouse cursor to the middle of the VM screen. I'm mousing an extra 100 miles a day to get back to my host OS screen when I never wanted to leave it! Stealing my focus is still stealing!

Anybody else have any answers for this?

Tom

0 Kudos
poLiSen
Contributor
Contributor

This happens to me as well.

It's driving me nuts!

Dual monitor setup.

Host is using Windows 7 32bit 7600 on a completely new Dell computer system.

Guest is using Windows XP Professional SP3.

WMware Player 3.1.2.14247

WMware Tools 8.4.4.14247

What's worse is that I am using WMware constantly because my work requires it.

Surely someone must've looked at it since the first post is more than a year old.

I could make a video of the said problem if someone would be interested.

0 Kudos
klui2k1
Contributor
Contributor

Only recently did I fix the problem by enabling Unity under Player 3.1.4. It probably would work for older versions of Player and Workstation. Don't forget that you need to not have the VM in full screen mode in order to activate Unity. That was the nuance that I didn't get until I did a web search. It would have been nice if a tool tip showed up when one hovers on the dimmed Unity menu.

0 Kudos