VMware Communities
Shikonu
Contributor
Contributor

Module 'Disk' power on failed - The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid.

Hi there, I keep getting the error

"The tag in the reparse point buffer is invalid

Cannot open the disk 'C:\Users\ferch\OneDrive\Desktop\Mike\SAIT\CMPS-275\Vitual Machines\Ubuntu\Ubuntu.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed

Failed to start the virtual machine"

I have a project due in 2 days on that VM, I've already tried deleting the .lck folder and tried using Restoro to fix any corrupted files

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do not store VMs in OneDrive replicated folders. This can cause several issues.

André

0 Kudos
Shikonu
Contributor
Contributor

I honestly thought I was saving it directly to my local hard drive, is there any way to restore my VM at this point or am I going to have to redo my project? I've disconnected the device from OneDrive now.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since I'm not sure about the VM's state, and I don't want to risk your data, the only idea I have at this time is that you may try to create a local copy of the VM's folder, and try to start the copied VM.

André

0 Kudos
Shikonu
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up figuring it out, you were right it did have to do with the OneDrive stuff. My solution was to run command prompt as administrator, typing in chkdsk c: /r /f, resetting the computer to run the disk check, then copying my VM folder onto my desktop and opening that one. Everything came back good, thank you for the responses, they were very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

0 Kudos