VMware Communities
Gathor68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Minecraft on VMWare Player

I'm having problem with the mouse cursor / moment when playing Minecraft (MC) on VMWare. The problem has to do with the mouse not getting locked to the VMWare window and MC.

Normal when you play MC the mouse get locked in the middle of the MC window. Even when you move the mouse left/right/up/down the mouse cursor are still located in the middle of MC window. So when you press ESC to get out the menu your mouse cursor show up in the middle of the MC window.

When playing in a VMWare window everything looks right, but the mouse cursor are moving to the left and right and do not keeping it's focus in the middle of MC. So if I move to the right and press ESC I will NOT see the mouse cursor in the middle of MC, but it has moved to the right.

This also confuses the MC client, because it keeps turning my char to the right even after I have stopped moving the mouse. Guess it's because the MC client detects cursor are not in the middle of MC and think that is because I'm moving the mouse.

If I move the mouse cursor long enough to one side it gets released from the VMWare windows and I can use it on my PC. From what I have found, VMWare have got an automatic grab/ungrab of the mouse when you get focus on/off the VMWare window. So what I'm looking for is a way to turn this feature off. So one has to use Ctrl-Alt to release the mouse from the VMware windows.

Anyone that can help me with the settings for doing this ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Beut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran into basically the same issue:

Problem Summary:

While playing minecraft or other game on a virtual machine guest OS, the mouse control becomes so bad that it is unmanageable, while the same game on the host OS runs without issue.

Host OS: Windows 7, 32bit

Guest OS: Windows 7, 32bit

VMware product: VMware Player 5.0.2 build-1031769

Details:

When I first setup a VMware and ran minecraft, I had a severe cursor problem. Once I moved the mouse, the navigation of the screen would continuously navigate in that direction until I returned my mouse to a theoretical center. With any kind of sensitivity, the effect was to almost instantly bounce between entirely up or entirely down, like in this video:

Minecraft in VMWare Player XP Pro Glitch - YouTube

The key difference between the host OS running the game and the guest OS running the game is the programmatic setting of the cursor. The host OS will constant reset the cursor to the center of the screen, but the guest OS never resets. I'm guessing this is because the VMware driver is overwriting this control so that the guest OS cursor tracks the host OS cursor.

Workaround Solution:

It seems advanced or paid services like Workstation allows 'configuration for games' with the feature in Edit -> Preferences -> Input -> Optimize for Games -> Always, but no such option exists on the free VMware Player. The only solution is to bypass the VMware driver somehow, and the easiest way I found was to reinstall the mouse with a Standard PS/2 Port Mouse driver, and disable the other virtual VMware USB pointing devices.

I don't know if there is an option in VMware Player that I am missing? Or maybe a feature complete mouse driver is part of the value proposition for Workstation and other paid products?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Beut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran into basically the same issue:

Problem Summary:

While playing minecraft or other game on a virtual machine guest OS, the mouse control becomes so bad that it is unmanageable, while the same game on the host OS runs without issue.

Host OS: Windows 7, 32bit

Guest OS: Windows 7, 32bit

VMware product: VMware Player 5.0.2 build-1031769

Details:

When I first setup a VMware and ran minecraft, I had a severe cursor problem. Once I moved the mouse, the navigation of the screen would continuously navigate in that direction until I returned my mouse to a theoretical center. With any kind of sensitivity, the effect was to almost instantly bounce between entirely up or entirely down, like in this video:

Minecraft in VMWare Player XP Pro Glitch - YouTube

The key difference between the host OS running the game and the guest OS running the game is the programmatic setting of the cursor. The host OS will constant reset the cursor to the center of the screen, but the guest OS never resets. I'm guessing this is because the VMware driver is overwriting this control so that the guest OS cursor tracks the host OS cursor.

Workaround Solution:

It seems advanced or paid services like Workstation allows 'configuration for games' with the feature in Edit -> Preferences -> Input -> Optimize for Games -> Always, but no such option exists on the free VMware Player. The only solution is to bypass the VMware driver somehow, and the easiest way I found was to reinstall the mouse with a Standard PS/2 Port Mouse driver, and disable the other virtual VMware USB pointing devices.

I don't know if there is an option in VMware Player that I am missing? Or maybe a feature complete mouse driver is part of the value proposition for Workstation and other paid products?

0 Kudos