VMware Communities
tml2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have had the message "Copying "" to virtual machine" (something like that, I don't remember the words) show many times. It can happen when I start up the virtual machine (host is Windows XP, vm is linux) or even later.

It seems that when I have copied files in host to/from external storage earlier, vmware player wants to copy it to virtual machine as well at some point later.

For example, I copied virtual machine files (over 10 GB) to a external hardisk at home. At school when I opened laptop and started vmplayer, the screen grayed out and the progress bar said it was copying the vm disk file to virtual machine? I couldn't stop it so eventually, after half an hour I killed the vmplayer process (corrupting the vm in the process so it wouldn't start again :). So I plugged the hard disk in, copied the vm files to laptop (and forgot the hard disk connected). Now when I started the vm again, it would come up and bam! Screen greyed out and the Copying file to virtual machine progress bar appeared. This time I waited until the vm disk became full and the copying was aborted.

Why is the vmplayer copying files to virtual machine without me trying to copy anything? The external hard disk was never mounted in the virtual machine, and vmplayer wasn't even running when I first copied the vm files to the external disk.

Thanks, Tomi

I'll try to get a screenshot of the situation. (hmm... time to copy some files back and forth in Windows...)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dafunkphenom
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same popup message with VMWARE Workstation 7.1. Seems to temporarily have stopped after I was selecting a few different options in the VMWARE Workstation menu and I am unable to recreate the problem to capture a screenshot at the moment.

What happens is that I have an Ubuntu 10.04 linux guest with "shared folders" disabled and when clicking from the desktop to the border trim of a file browser session a windows style popup would appear that would be labelled "vmware workstation" and the message would be Copying file -------------- to virtual machine. The files it would show being copied were files that I recently copied from my windows host to an external hard drive. It freaked me out and I could recreate it on the fly. But what do you know.....when I want a friggin' screenshot, now I can't duplicate it.

I need to get to the bottom of this.

0 Kudos