VMware Communities
kwmozm
Contributor
Contributor

Memory Limitations with 64-Bit Guests

Hi,

I'm interested in developing a 64-bit app to be distributed as a 64-bit guest. But in order to be useful, it needs to have more than 3600MB of memory (like several GBs). Based on the documentation I've been able to find, this is impossible.

So my first question is, what is the real memory size limit of the latest Player? Is there any roadmap for expanding to more than 4GB?

Secondly, the legacy PCI devices on the existing Player don't seem to support more than 32-bit, or in some cases 40-bit, DMA. It would therefore seem that we need new virtual devices (and hopefully this time, ones with easily-findable public register specifications) in order to support 64-bit guests in a futureproof manner. Yes, in theory, one can copy data from below to above 4GB, but this is not efficient.

Finally, I've heard mixed assertions regarding SMP support in the latest Player. Is it "experimental" or "reliable, so far as we know"? What is the real maximum number of cores? (And why wouldn't you want this value to simply mirror the physical number?) Do you pass through Hyperthreading capability, or am I stuck with half the virtual core count that the host actually provides? Yes, I know ESX is wonderful, but given its limited install base relative to Player, I need to target Player if the app is to be economically viable.

Please inform. Yes, maybe I'm nuts, and this just not doable.

Thanks,

Larry

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

RAM limits for virtual hardware version 6 and 7 are 8 GB, not 3.6GB. This has existed since Player 2.0.x.

What PCI devices are you referring to in the guest? The virtual network adapter for 64-bit guests is the Intel E1000...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Is it "experimental" or "reliable, so far as we know"?

It is reliable IMHO. Best option is to use a single CPU if you want a fast VM.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos