VMware Communities
frizzo2
Contributor
Contributor

MacOS High Sierra guest in a Windows 10 host stopped working after years of flawless performance.

I've had a MacOS High Sierra 10.14 guest installed on a Windows 10 host and it's been working great for years.  Today it stopped.  When I try to start the VM, it says "Your computer restarted because of a problem" (image below).

I've tried all sorts of things to fix it:

• Rebooted Windows multiple times
  • Located my known good zip file that contained the entire directory (.vmx, .vmdk, etc..) that I've used multiple times when I changed or upgraded computers.  I tried to setup the VM from scratch with that.
  • Reinstalled VMWare Player

Nothing worked.  My only clue was that Windows Update installed the 21H1 feature update three days prior.  But I've been using the VM in the last several days.  Nonetheless, I reverted Windows back to 20H2.  Still it didn't work.  For good measure, I uninstalled every update from the past week - that didn't help either.

I then tried to put MacOS into recovery mode by pressing Win+R.  It makes MacOS take a lot longer to fail, but it still fails and I don't get any recovery screens.

What else can I do?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
btmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is a violation of the Apple EULA to run MacOS on a Windows PC with VMware Workstation.

You can't discuss that topic here on VMTN.

0 Kudos