VMware Communities
blub13
Contributor
Contributor

Low framerate in game on guest machine

Hi 😃

i have a little problem - when i start a game in my guest machine (win xp 2gbram +vmware tools) it runs fine with 50-60fps

also when i go back to my host machine

but when i start the game in my host machine too the game in the guest get low framerate of 5-10 fps - why?!

my host machine: win 7 64bit 16gbram geforce gtx470 pheneom2 (6x3,2ghz) - resources should be enough or?

what can i do

vmware player is up to date

sorry for doppelpost - i signed the old thread as solved so no one answered =/

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could set the CPU affinity of the game process to a certain core so you know that the game on your host machine isn't taking up too much processor time and choking out your VM.

Set Processor affinity (There are a ton of guides for this):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/start-an-application-assigned-to-a-specific-cpu-in-wind...

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/automatically-set-processor-affinity-in-windows-xp-professional/...

How much ram do you have assigned to your VM?

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
0 Kudos
blub13
Contributor
Contributor

hi thanks 4 answering 😃

but also wenn i set a different CPU affinity the problem exist - the guest machine has 2gb ram

interesting is when i change the window in my host machine means game isn't aktive anymore then the guest machine instandly get 50-60fps

when i change the window again back to my game (in host machine) - the game in guest instandly get low 10-20fps

0 Kudos
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting. You may want to reduce the resolution or advanced display features in the game on either the VM or on your host machine. I know there are some fancy features like AA x2 etc that use a lot of horsepower.

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
0 Kudos
blub13
Contributor
Contributor

that problem exist with a resolution 640*480 in the same way like 1024*768 XD

also funny:

Ansitrope filter 0x

Antialiasing 0x

same problem like:

Ansitrope filter 16x

Antialiasing 32x

something different goes wrong ...

0 Kudos
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like all extra resources you are getting from lowering the settings are getting used by high framerates. Can you limit the framerate to like 30 using an in game setting?

0 Kudos
gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you maximize VMware Player's windows during game?

Decresing of performance could be caused windowed mode

(look over Internet about worse performance in windowed mode).

0 Kudos