VMware Communities
cafdemon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lost internet access in winxp, me and 98 guests

Hi everyone!

So - it appears that over the last few days I've lost my internet access within XP, 98 and ME guests - it's fine under vista.

My host in windows 7, and I last accessed the internet from an xp guest just under a week ago, with no troubles - first noticed the problem yesterday.

Have tried 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Based on those error messages, there is nothing wrong in networking. It is just that your OS or Browser, refuses to work. Perhaps they have achieved end of life and been disabled for generic Internet work ... or every site refuses them. I would imagine that some site would allow it, major ones, perhaps not.

I suggest to try with another browser, but I don't know what it would be. I guess Opera was one option during the times of those OS's.

Network settings is far-fetched, because the browser says that it does get data. But obviously, the first things to check would be:

- NAT selected for the VM

- gateway address

- IP-address space so that it is for NAT

- DNS, add 8.8.8.8 there to make sure (google DNS)

You should also consider that you may have multiple problems. XP VM might not have the same problem as your Win98 VM, with correct networking and with a decent Browser, you should get that working.

There is nothing wrong in VMware, as such, because your Vista VM works. VM config may be an issue, as stated above for the most likely candidates.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cafdemon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry - looks like the message has been cut short!

Have tried the fixes suggested on https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2019836 but neither of those worked,
I've even installed the newest (win 7 compatible) vmware player, with a fresh XP guest installed on that - but still no luck.

using firefox I can access a little bit - if I try and go to the BBC site, it loads a few panes, and then disappears,
oldversion.com loads its home page, and If I do a search on the firefox home page, I get a weird looking results page,
but most links will give the following error:

---------

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to en.wiktionary.org.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

--

The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

---

Any clues?

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Based on those error messages, there is nothing wrong in networking. It is just that your OS or Browser, refuses to work. Perhaps they have achieved end of life and been disabled for generic Internet work ... or every site refuses them. I would imagine that some site would allow it, major ones, perhaps not.

I suggest to try with another browser, but I don't know what it would be. I guess Opera was one option during the times of those OS's.

Network settings is far-fetched, because the browser says that it does get data. But obviously, the first things to check would be:

- NAT selected for the VM

- gateway address

- IP-address space so that it is for NAT

- DNS, add 8.8.8.8 there to make sure (google DNS)

You should also consider that you may have multiple problems. XP VM might not have the same problem as your Win98 VM, with correct networking and with a decent Browser, you should get that working.

There is nothing wrong in VMware, as such, because your Vista VM works. VM config may be an issue, as stated above for the most likely candidates.

0 Kudos
cafdemon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks - looks like opera kinda works!

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Very good. Can to mark this as Solved or Closed?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@RaSystemlord 

Done 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos