VMware Communities
TJohny
Contributor
Contributor

Lost in Translation to n00b- Install Instructions

Hi All,

First time caller.  Short time reader.  Just began my VM odyssey and my VM ship has holes.

This is my problem.. i hope there is enough detail and usable language.

Physical Machine:

CPU i5 3570K

MSI Z77A GD55 with Virtual crap in BIOS enabled

16GB RAM

120G SSD - 60G free

1T HDD - 900G free in 4 partitions.  (I didn't create a partion on the SDD or HDD to specifically provide space for the vdisk.)

MSI 7870 Vid Card

2 monitors

Windows 7 Pro 64

I use the SSD for a game.  I keep Win 7 Pro, the game on the SSD.  Win 7 Pro knows SSD as C:/

I want to use the VM XP mode to load another game client and drive both toons via hotkey program that sends keystrokes from my single keyboard to multiple "named" machines/"named" windows.  Basically dual box 2 game clients - one on host Win 7 and another on guest XP.

I installed XP mode and then VM Player 5.  Imported the XP mode over.  It appears to basically function.  I'm doing this in the VM XP now.  I have surfed web on XP VM, but tried nothing else for fear of SNAFU.

Confusion:  What disk is the VM using?

The VM has a 127G vdisk set up.  I don't recall ever having a chance to set this size.  All I want the XP mode is to run another copy of the game -- 4G disk space and hotkey program so I can drive all game clients with 1 keyboard plus the OS.  Don't need 127G!  Plus when I exit, I occasionally get a pop up saying my vdisk needs defrag.  ???  The physical drives are basically empty and the vdisk is hours old with no programs installed - IE and media player.

So which drive is the 127G reading and writing from. XP says its C:/ (the SSD on Win 7) but the C: is only 120G.  The VM player app is saved to a partition on the HDD (W:/) but I assigned the VM working drive and other VM thing to C:/ on Win 7 Pro.

Questions:

1) Is the vdisk set up correctly and which drive is the VM using and is it safe to believe that vdisk will not write over files.

By the way, I open up Computer in Win 7 and look at the hard disk space before and after VM install and I can't see where 127G is taken up.

By the way, I open up Computer  in Win & after launching VM XP mode and disk space is same as pre launch.

2) I want a unique IP address for the XP mode so I can send keystrokes to it via the hotkey program.

-- I have no idea if I domain is set up or if things need to networked etc.  n00b!

Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies