VMware Communities
StanGreen
Contributor
Contributor

Lost Host Copy/Paste on Fedora 33 -> 34 Upgrade

I just updated my Fedora 33 to Fedora 34. I first made a copy of 33 then did the upgrade on the copied VM. I noticed that on the Fedora 34 version, the Copy/Paste from the host (Windows 10 Pro) no longer works. I went back to the original Fedora 33 VM and the host copy/paste works fine in that VM. I also tried host Copy/Paste with RHEL 8 and it works fine also. Therefore my thought is this is a Fedora 34 issue. Has anyone else seen this and if so is there a fix?

Thanks,

Stan

Labels (1)
3 Replies
mizzouece
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with Fedora 34; copy-and-paste isn't working between a Windows 10 host and the VM.  File drag-and-drop between the Windows 10 host and the F34 VM is also not working.

FWIW: I'm using the KDE/Plasma spin of F34, and I've tried both the Wayland and X11 login options.  (I typically use the X11 login option.)

Have you figured out a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Using the F34-XFCE spin with open-vm-tools, EndeavourOS host. Copy/paste works as advertised; don't know about drag/drop (disabled at the moment).
0 Kudos
mizzouece
Contributor
Contributor

It seems this is a known bug in Fedora 34 with the KDE/Plasma spin:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1953472

As of today, the workarounds that seem to work are these:

1. After logging in, open a command shell and manually invoke program vmware-user-suid-wrapper
    OR
  2. Follow Rex Dieter's advice in Comment 4 of the Bugzilla bug report (#1953472) mentioned above, i.e.,
* edit /etc/xdg/startkderc, set systemdBoot=false
* log out * when logging in to plasma, choose x11 session type (instead of wayland)

Either of these two methods ensures the logged-in user has the required vmtoolsd process:

$ ps aux | grep vmtoolsd
someuser+ 17188 2.7 0.8 507108 35332 pts/1 Sl 19:20 0:00 /usr/bin/vmtoolsd -n vmusr --blockFd 3

== EDIT ==

Corrected a typo in Rex Dieter's name.