VMware Communities
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking for Linux equivalent of vmnetcfg.exe

Hello!

I'm using VMware Player 3.0.1, for Linux (32-bit).

It installed OK.

It loaded all the modules OK.

I need to configure my network settings.

My network devices on the host are all working just fine in Linux, so that isn't the problem.

In particular, I need to set up the subnets for the various virtual devices used by VMware guests. In particular, these are vmnet0, vmnet1, vmnet2, and so on. I need to enable/disable DHCP, choose which devices are considered for bridging when "Bridged" is selected, and so forth.

Back in the old days, there was a script "vmware-config.pl" that would do this. It worked perfectly. Unfortunately, this script no longer exists.

In the Windows distribution of VMware Player, the vmnetcfg.exe program can be used to set the network settings. This program doesn't exist in the Linux distribution (at least as far as I could find).

Is there a way to set the settings manually? Unfortunately, from what I can see, as of VMware Player 3.0, VMware has really locked down the settings that are available to users, making it easier in the situations where the defaults "just work", but correspondingly, much more difficult to fix things when the out-of-the-box defaults do not work.

I searched, and noticed a lot of people asking about this problem. Unfortunately, no answers.

Is there something I overlooked?

Thanks!

Josh

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mrtisoy
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. How do I get vmnet0 to bridge to eth1 instead of eth0? I've been searching for days with no luck.

0 Kudos
tcucinieri
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem !!!

There is some way to link two brigded network interfaces in Player 3 on linux Hosts ??

0 Kudos
rexxman
Contributor
Contributor

See my post in the following thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/270128

It was done with VMWare Player 3.1, but it might still work for 3.0.

Cheers, Mark

0 Kudos