VMware Communities
Absit201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Locking Resolution and/or Window Size

The short and sweet of it is the app I want to run via VMWare Player is locked at a 640x480 resolution.  When this app runs the Player window resizes itself to 640x480.  I'd like the Player window to not resize itself, regardless of what resolution the Guest is set to.  How can I do this?

Another solution may be magnifying the Guest, but I don't know how to do that either.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

From the perspective of VMware Player itself, this is really not a VMware Player issue per se since it's the application running under the Guest OS that is triggering the resolution change at the Guest OS level.  Regardless though VMware Player doesn't provide a way to stop and app running under an OS from doing what it's programmed to do.

If what you'd like is to have the forced 640x480 resolution change do, is to scale to the size of the window so as to not have the black boarders sounding it then you'll need to use VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
Absit201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I think you misunderstood.  I don't want to change the resolution that the app runs in, and I don't care about a black border.  What I want is the Player window to stop resizing itself to fit the resolution the Guest is running in, effectively stretching/magnifying the Guest display rather than changing resolutions or shrinking the Player window.  This would allow my 640x480 app to appear larger (stretched/magnified) instead of being so very small on my host 1440x900 resolution.

The only effective solution I've found so far is to set my host resolustion as low as possible, but that more or less defeats the purpose of using the VMWare Player.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The only mechanism I can think of to stop the Virtual Machine's display to stop resizing the window is to not install VMware Tools however ultimately what you're asking for is that the forced 640x480 resolution to scale to the window size and this is not doable in VMware Player and why I already told you that VMware Workstation is required to allow resolution scaling.

0 Kudos