VMware Communities
JMan015
Contributor
Contributor

Local Network

I am using Vmware Player 16.1.0. I have a VM running Windows 7. I want to be able to access my network printer in the VM, but I do NOT want access to the Internet. How is this possible? I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
grimsrue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Simple answer.....Firewall

Since we don't know much about your network or what type of laptop or desktop you are running VMware Workstation on, then that's the best answer I can give.

Are you running VMware Workstation on a Home desktop/laptop or Work desktop/laptop?

What OS is your Desktop/laptop running?

What type of internet connection is being used? ISP for home, corporate internet, or small business internet/ISP?

Is your VM using IPs from a different subnet or from the same subnet that your laptop/desktop is using?

What is assigning those IPs? ISP Modem, company DHCP, or do you have a separate ASUS/Netgear router handling IP assignments.

Based on your answers to any of the above questions there are multiple different ways you can block you VMs IP from accessing the internet and all of them will be the firewall in some form or another.

0 Kudos
JMan015
Contributor
Contributor

I am using a laptop, I have Home ISP. My router is a Synology RT2600ac.

Host OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Guest OS: Win7 Basic 32 bit

I think I figured it out.

In the VM setting, I setup Network in Bridged mode and selected "Replicate..."

I went to Firewall Advance settings in guest OS (Win 7); I blocked all outbound connections and created an allow rule for the local subnet.

If there is an easier / better way, I would love to know.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
grimsrue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't work with VMWare Workstation that often. I am more familiar with ESXi. Others in the community might have a better way that I am not thinking about.

Knowing that you are using a laptop and I can now say it would be best to use the laptop Windows firewall or the VMs Windows firewall to block internet access since your laptop can travel around and will potentially connect to different networks.

0 Kudos
Ronts1955
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the information.

my account access

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your post to the moderators, asking them to move it to the area of the Communities for Workstation Player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos