VMware Communities
juhwwon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Linux VMware Workstation16 player Bridged external NIC does not map to it's true Network (interface)

Hi all,

I am indefinitely stuck at using two separate network bridges for my VMware player. I humbly seek for an insight, please kindly help look into this.

So I have an internal NIC and an external NIC. Through the Virtual Network editor, I had bridged (and saved the configuration successfully) vmnet0 to my internal and vmnet10 to my external NIC. I intend to use both bridged networks (vmnet0 and vmnet10) inside the quest os. However, when I power up the vm, I only have the vmnet0 network available (detecting its correct gateway) and vmnet10 gets an annoying ip address that it shouldn't on that bridge.

Furthermore, currently, I interchanged the bridging on these two interfaces (vmnet0 and vmnet10) such that vmnet0 bridges to my external and vmnet10 to my internal and also interchanged their cables. But to my surprise, the network on vmnet0 now correctly detects my desired network gateway interface with the newly switched cables but vmnet10 is still not detecting my bridged network.

Please kindly help me out. I am slowly dying of this misery. (please find attached my network editor config)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you use more than one bridged vmnet you must use the long vmx-notation like here:

ethernet0.present= "true"
ethernet0.startConnected = "true"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet = "vmnet5"

the short notation like
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

will not work - or give you unexpected results

View solution in original post

2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you use more than one bridged vmnet you must use the long vmx-notation like here:

ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet = "vmnet5"

the short notation like
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

will not work - or give you unexpected results

juhwwon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah it worked! You're a superhero! I was literally going mental on this. I really can't express enough how glad I am with this solution. My 2 kudos. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos