VMware Communities
mmartin0926
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux Guest Won't Connect to Internet via Wireless Adapter

Hello All,

Host: Windows 10 Pro (*64 bit)

Guest: OpenSuSE 42.3 Leap (*x86_64)

In the past I always ran a Linux Host with a Windows Gust OS (*previously Win 7). But, recently got a new laptop with Windows 10 and decided to start going the opposite direction with Win host and a Linux Guest.

For some reason the Linux Guest won't connect to the Internet when my laptop is connected via Wi-Fi. I sort of remember having this issue with my Windows guest OS, which only seemed to work on wireless if I switched the Adapter to NAT mode.

Is there anything I should look for to figure out why this won't work when I switch to Wi-Fi?

FYI, our Ethernet and Wi-Fi use different subnets. When connected via Ethernet, the Linux guest gets its own IP Address and I have no issues connecting. Then, my laptop switches to Wi-Fi and the Guest OS never changes. It keeps the IP it got on eth0 and I can''t connect to the Network.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mmartin0926
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was finally able to get this working.

I went into the VM's Network Adapter settings and changed it to "Custom" and selected "VMnet8 (NAT)". And it seems to be working now on both Wired and Wi-Fi.

It seems as though if you leave it up to VMWare to decide which adapter to use it does not work. I want to use bridge, but couldn't get it to work on Wi-Fi. It would only work via a wired connection. So I guess I'm stuck with NAT for now until they fix this issue...

-Matt

0 Kudos