VMware Communities
zalan
Contributor
Contributor

Linux Guest Freezes connecting USB Mobile Broadband Device

Host: Windows XP SP3, VMware Player 3.1.3

Guest: Linux Mint LMDE i386 (kernel 2.6.32) with vmware tools installed (same problem also with different linux guests)

When I connect the USB umts modem (ONDA MC503HSA) to the virtual machine, the guest repeatedly freezes/unfreezes until the modem is fully initialized (which can take some minutes).

During the freezes the mouse pointer is not shown, though I can move it outside the VM window.

Worse, these freezes randomly occur even after the initialization phase has completed, but only if the virtual printer is connected.

Apart from this, the modem works fine in the guest (I'm using it just now), which I believe is a good achievement for the USB virtual driver (other virtualization product failed handling such a harsh device).

Note that Windows guests seems not affected (I tried one XP and one Win7 machine).

Linux physical (not virtual) machines seems unaffected too (I tried 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 as well as LMDE).

Did anyone experience freezes related to USB / thinprint ?

Should I file a bug report about this problem?

I attach vmware.log file along with the related guest syslog where the connection phase is captured.

Regards

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies