VMware Communities
TorinWalker1
Contributor
Contributor

Laggy performance with Windows 10 guest, but normal under Ubuntu guest

I run a number of Windows and Linux guests and notice that Windows guests are incredibly laggy, whereas Linux performs admirably.

A simple test is to open both side by side, wait for Windows guests to settle down (complete all updates, scans, etc.) then open a Chrome browser to YouTube and play the same video on each. Both guests run 4 cpu, 8gb ram and run from SSD.

The Windows 7 and 10 (pro) guests will speed up, slow down, sputter, with audio clicking and popping, sometimes even freezing completely (UI and all) for tens of seconds before recovering. The Linux (Ubuntu 18) guests will play video as expected with no issues whatsoever.

I have tried tuning out certain performance inhibitors such as side channel mitigation, forcing all memory to be allocated to physical ram, and even turning off features that some claim can cause isses such as disabling unity.

ulm.disableMitigations = "TRUE"
prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"
isolation.tools.unity.disable = "TRUE"

Any other Windows-related performance configuration options I can try? Any idea why Windows would just completely freeze for tens of seconds at a time? What on earth could Windows be doing to cause it to lock up compelely like that?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Try disabling the hardware GPU acceleration in google chrome settings.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
TorinWalker1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Tried that. Didn't help. GPU accelleration is enabled in Linux Chrome, btw, and it plays just fine.

0 Kudos