VMware Communities
yallen
Contributor
Contributor

Kubuntu install Hangs/Crashes in VMWare Player

I am running Win7 x 64 bit as my host and I am trying to run Kubuntu 11.04 as my guest machine but in easy install, after you pass the blue kubuntu screen with the four dots the screen just goes black and stays there.

If you try to install it without using easy install mode in Kubuntu a quick window pops up and the only thing i can make out is istaller crashed and then the screen goes black. Can anyone help with this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Vmware Player is only for play existed virtual machine, not for install :S.

Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
tudza
Contributor
Contributor

Say what now?  That is not true at all.  You will notice there is an option in VMWare Player called Create New Virtual Machine. 

I've createdd virtual machines running XP, Windows 8, Ubuntu of various flavors including 11.10, etc.

I will admit that Kubuntu 11.10 seems to be giving me troubles, which is how I happened on this comment.

0 Kudos
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To Yallen:

What version of VMWare Player do you use?

Using Player 3.1.x might give trouble installing and/or running Linuces with a kernel with version 3.x or greater. I didn't try this.

Using Player 4.x should work with Kubuntu using kernel 3.x! I've experienced this.

If you are using Player 3.1.x you should consider upgrading to 4.x.

0 Kudos
tudza
Contributor
Contributor

I have VMware Player 4 and I was able to create a virtual machine for Kubuntu 11.10. 

It did sit for a very long time, hard to say how long since I was running other things that may have slowed it down, but it was on the order of and hour or more.  During that time the screen was black.  Something odd is going on certainly.

I do get that SMbus error, but it does not seem to keep the virtual machine from connecting to the Internet.

0 Kudos
jjex22
Contributor
Contributor

Have you checked that the virtual hard drive you created for Kubuntu meets the minimum requirements of the system? 

0 Kudos