VMware Communities
cojaxx8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Keyboard Not Working after VMWare Conversion

Hello,

I'm trying to run a VMware Conversion of an old laptop as a backup. I've run a VMware conversion and converted it to a vm 9 image file.

When it gets opened in VMware Player everything works except for the keyboard inputs. The only way I can type on the screen is using either the on screen keyboard or connecting in with TeamViewer.

Looking in Device Manager shows that the following error.

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Has anyone come across this before and know if a solution?

Thanks

Peter Sheridan

28 Replies
PIARAY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstalling Synaptics software programs worked for me.

tomm1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

had the same issue after conversion with Win 8.1 x64 / hp 2170p notebook (VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0) 

thanks for the tip!!

0 Kudos
tomm1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

had the same issue after conversion with Win 8.1 x64 / hp 2170p notebook (VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0) 

thanks for the tip!!

0 Kudos
Rick_Sanchez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

still applicable with Windows 11 🙂

0 Kudos
sabergeron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this same issue after using Converter 6.2 (converting a Windows 10 laptop): No keyboard, but mouse worked. I didn't have the entry in the keyboard reg key that the top-voted response had, but I tried your message and removed everything except kbdclass and that worked. Thanks! (I know this is 8 years later, but you're still helping someone!)

0 Kudos
kyoshookojiro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, it work very well

0 Kudos
marquis22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem with a P2V conversion for Win10Pro.

The key (pun intended) is the one that begins with 4d36e96b, since there are a bunch of keys that end with 10318.

I wondered why there were so many that were the same until I realized they weren't the same and clearly read the posts to see you had to find the one that started with 4d36e96b.

0 Kudos
phobicdotno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here, when converting Win 10 from a Lenovo P1 Gen 2.

I just delete everything Synaptic, and rebooted.

0 Kudos
FRANCESCM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's working for me, with windows 10

Many thanks

Good work

0 Kudos