VMware Communities
Nick2233
Contributor
Contributor

Kernel headers not found

Hi everyone

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 and update the kernel to mainline 5.14.0-rc3. I then proceeded to install Workstation Player 16. When launching it i get "Kernel Headers for version 5.14.0-051400rc3-generic were not found." and it prompts me to select the path to the headers. When i select /usr/src/linux-headers-5.14.0-051400rc3 as the path, it still fails with "C header files matching your running kernel were not found".

Thank you in advance!

7 Replies
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you reboot after installing the new kernel?
0 Kudos
Nick2233
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I rebooted twice: once after installing the new kernel and a second time after manually reinstalling the kernel headers.
To me, it looks like a problem on VMWares side because everything else is working fine.

Does anyone know, how VMWare checks if the kernel and kernel header version match? If it checks via directory name I can see why it is confused because the directory of the kernel headers lacks the "-generic" extension.

pttransamdriver
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

<redacted>

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just checked my Ubuntu 20 VM and it's on kernel 5.15-41. Where did you get the kernel you're using?

0 Kudos
pttransamdriver
Contributor
Contributor

Good observation, I'm on kernel 5.15-43. I've tried other fixes on the forum here with no luck 😕

0 Kudos
pttransamdriver
Contributor
Contributor

Figured it out. You have to re-install the kernel headers:

in my case I'm running kernel 5.15.0-43. to find yours run:

uname -a

Then I reinstalled the kernel headers:

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.15.0-43-generic 

after a successful update 

sudo reboot

Now it's working fine. Must have updated its kernel wrong the last time.