VMware Communities
jolumaoj
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to install a USB joystick in VMware player 2.5 with Windows XP?

I connect the device and the virtual machine detect it. I can connect the usb device to the virtual machine and disconnect from the host. However, it don´t work fine. If I open the device manager, the usb controllers has an exclamation mark.

Thanks !!!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have the VMware Tools installed in this guest? You might need them for the proper USB device drivers.

0 Kudos
jolumaoj
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have installed the VMware Tools.

Yesterday I called to the support phone number and a technician answered me that VMware player doesnn´t support joystick and game controller. However, he said that maybe exist a trick to achieve that.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...VMware player doesnn´t support joystick and game controller. ...

While it is true that there is no virtual game port, most USB devices should work in the virtual machine. Obviously, you need to have a virtual USB controller added to the virtual machine settings. Add the line:

usb.present = "TRUE"

to your VMX file, if it does not exist. Of course, you will still need to add the drivers for the joystick to the guest OS.

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I use a Microsoft 360 USB controller all the time in Fusion and it works great. USB functionality should be similar between the various products, so it should work with Server. What brand/model is your joystick? There have been some reported issues when connected through a USB hub, so try connecting it directly to the host, or if you aren't using a hub, see if you can track down a powered hub and give it a try with that.

0 Kudos