VMware Communities
skeptic42
Contributor
Contributor

Is a Windows Guest OS product key required?

I would like to install Windows XP SP3 as a guest OS on my machine, but I do not have the Microsoft product key for the system install discs.  It is my understanding that VMWare Player Easy Install will require me to enter a product key.  Is there any way for me install and run Windows XP without the product key?  I would also like to be able to install and use VMWare Tools with the guest OS.

BTW, my host computer is running Windows 7 64-bit.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

each instance of Windows (and maybe other operating systems) you install - no matter whether on physical or on virtual machines - requires a valid license. In case of Windows XP you can install it without using Easy Install and run it until its eval period ends.

André

0 Kudos
skeptic42
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Andre.

I have never installed an OS without a product key, so I am not familiar with the "evaluation period".   Will the OS simply cease to work after a fixed period of time?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, I somehow was thinking of my MSDN subscription.

With the retail version you'll need to enter the product key during installation, but you can run it for a couple of days without activation.

André

0 Kudos
abcdefz
Contributor
Contributor

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE MYSELF FROM THIS MAIL LIST. I HAVEN’T HAD ANY LUCK FINDING THE FLAG TO CLICK ON TO GET OFF THE LIST! Maybe later, but I don’t NEED this stuff now…

Be in touch,

jdg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@abcdefz

You can set your global email preferences in your profile. For individual discussions or forums, click the "Stop email notifications" link in the "Actions" box. If you have trouble, please add some details about which "email list" you want to stop (which emails do you get?).

André

0 Kudos