VMware Communities
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is VMplayer 4 released ?

I just downloaded VMware-Player-4.0.0-471780.x86_64.bundle.tar but do not see any notes about a release ?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Mark_Latanzi
Contributor
Contributor

Now released but you need to have an account to donwload it. http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/4_0

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Seems it is available now.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/4_0

PRODUCT VERSION RELEASE DATE
VMware Player 4.0 4.0.02011/10/04

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

but you need to have an account to donwload it

That's nothing new, an account has been necessary for many years, if not from the beginning. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dcstar
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

As I am a devilish mood I would assume the VMplayer 4 is not release yet in the hope people would still get the trail Workstation 8.

There are plenty of users that do not need nor want VMware Workstation and only need/want VMware Player so offering Workstation when checking for a software updates from VMware Player is a bit annoying!

Just refusing the Workstation Upgrade eventually brings up the Player Upgrade option (at least it did on my system).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

dcstar wrote:  Just refusing the Workstation Upgrade eventually brings up the Player Upgrade option (at least it did on my system).

As of the last time I checked on the date/time of my last reply in this thread when I mentioned it, VMware Player 4 was never offered, to me, when trying to update from VMware Player 3.1.4, however this was before it was officially released to the general public as a standalone install vial the normal download links.   I also checked this several times on two different Hosts, both Windows and Linux and the only thing every offered was Workstation 8 via the update check.  Prior to that I had already downloaded it through the backdoor before this thread was even started although certainly didn't feel the need to start a thread to advertise that. Smiley Wink

The bottom line is, this was a totally unnecessary thread to have started in the first place since all one had to do was click on the appropriate download links and it was not yet available through the normal download pages when this discussion thread was started! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos