VMware Communities
binfitbox
Contributor
Contributor

Interoperability between Linux and Windows, being able to move VMs from one OS to other

Hello

I would like to confirm if I can move Virtual Machines…

• Across different Operative Systems,
  • Across different VMware products,
  • And across different VMware versions.

Like from Ubuntu 20.04 VMware Player 16 to Windows 10 VMware Workstation 15 Pro, or if it could be easier then from Ubuntu 20.04 VMware Player 16 to Windows 10 VMware Workstation 16 Pro/Player, in this last case having the v16 in both OS.

For example I’m planning to have a Windows workspace running in a VMware Player Linux installation (for now I have Ubuntu in mind), a Linux VPS specifically. In fact, you can follow the thread opened today in the next link here and maybe contribute your ideas, experiences or alternatives for what I explain there about what I need:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/IDEA-VMware-Player-in-a-Linux-VPS-as-bac...

Well, and I would like to confirm I can backup that whole virtual machine and move it for example to a Windows 10 VMware Workstation Pro/Player, maybe just copying/pasting the Virtual Machine folder from that Linux VMware installation.

My idea is to be able to easily backup and move the whole Windows Virtual Machine from Linux to Windows VMware, being able to do this backup/restore process easily in minutes and with a friendly interoperability.

By the way, is Ubuntu 20.04 a good Linux alternative to use VMware Player for a relatively new Linux user?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not going to speculate on interoperability between VMware versions, so I'll leave that to someone else...

I run a dual-boot - Windows 10 and EndeavousOS - both with VMware Workstation, using a shared NTFS partition to store my VMs. In order to use these VMs on either host, I copied the config files so that they can be edited to reflect the different paths the OS's use. For example, my Arch VM uses arch-kde.vmx  arch-kde.vmxf. When in Windows, I copy it to win-arch-kde.vmx and win-arch-kde.vmxf respectively, then change the paths inside so that Windows can find the hard disk volumes. This is all done within the same directory - no need to make a new copy somewhere else. Any other OS-specific files will be created anew.

I've tested this with (3) different VMs and all worked flawlessly. They could not care less what the host OS was.

bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Across different Operative Systems,
Yes. You can move across different host OS (Windows, Linux, macOS and VMware ESXi
Across different VMware products,
Yes. VMware Workstation Pro, Player on Windows/Linux hosts, Fusion on macOS, ESXi
And across different VMware versions.
Yes but make sure the virtual hardware version is supported by the corresponding target VMware product.

A word about moving VMs around, choose "I moved it" when prompted for the first time. If you replied "I copied it" a new UUID will be generated and will likely cause reactivation of Windows OS and possibly other software inside the VM that has licensing restrictions.

RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

I already answered this a bit in your other thread. But here is a little bit addition to the replies that you already got.

Between Linux and Windows.

I have copied VMs over between Windows XP/Win 7/Win 10 and mostly Ubuntu Linux - as you can deduct from this, for a very long time. There are no issues to run VMs in the other system when you copy the folder, when one VM=one folder.

How to copy?

The matter how to get this to fail, is to use desktop copying - of course, it can work out. However, if you cannot or don't want to check by running the VM that it really worked, use a reliable copying method. That is robocopy in Windows and rsync in Linux.

Limitations of copy/move

a) Operating systems have their own licensing terms. In this case, the matter is about Windows. You cannot multiply Windows computers just like that - at least you cannot Activate them. You might not need to Activate or you might have a developer license, which IS for multiple activation. MS Office is kind of the same. The licensing terms are very complicated, if you just don't want to buy a large number of Retail licenses to be on the safe side - or something else. Hard to say what each and everyone should do.

As pointed out above, if you say "copied" when you first open the new copy (or a moved VM), activation is gone for sure. It might still be gone when you move between systems, which probably do not have the same exact hardware type.

If your VM is Linux, there are no such issues.

How to be able to copy?

You can have an external disk or network between computers. You said minutes - well, networking doesn't do it in minutes. A decent external USB-III nVME M.2 disk might if you have fast USB-3 interfaces - but you need to do it twice when copying from one computer to another. A more realistic time would be 10 minutes or more - depending of course of your VM size, with Windows desktop version, it is never minimal (a Windows Server might be rather small).

You need to use NTFS because that is the common, decent filesystem for both Windows and Linux (or fiddle with ext4 drivers in Windows, but I have zero experience on them).

As mentioned before, you cannot use NTFS to run a VM in Linux (since Ubuntu 18.04 LTS-times) - unless the very latest NTFS-drivers in the latest Linux kernel work with VMware. So, you do need to copy, otherwise you could run the same VM from the external disk, on the both systems, Linux and Windows. That is what I have done a lot in the past.

You asked what is a good Linux system for VMs. I have used Ubuntu since mid 2000's to run VMs. That was the main choice, because Windows at that time was inferior for anything heavier. Vista SP1 64-bit improved the game a lot (if you knew how to get performance out from it).

There is nothing wrong with Ubuntu as a VM platform, but lately, this is my personal feeling, Ubuntu for a newbie user or even for an experienced user, has gone downhill since version 16.04. I have lately standardized using Kubuntu, which is a nice system. Default setups are much better in Kubuntu than in Ubuntu (too many things to point out). Overall functionality is much better in Kubuntu. Many desktop concepts have just gone downhill in Ubuntu.

Between different VM-versions.

An exact answer would be a very large matrix, but it works very well, if you observe a few things:

- compatibility is not really about VMware software version, only. It is compatibility between the version of the VM itself against the software

- if you don't upgrade always to the very latest version, you can use it with newer and older versions very well, within a reasonable timeframe (years, not 10+ years)

- upgrade of the VM to the new version is not compulsorary and sometimes there is none. If you need something fancy, like a VERY large RAM, you might want to do that, but typically, upgrade doesn't make much of a difference

- compatibility, as always with software, is not for going downwards in versions, only upwards. Thus, do not upgrade your VMs if you have older VMware versions in use

- compatibility may be corrected by editing the control file, but I have never needed that, when keeping things in order, like explained above