VMware Communities
kvistborg
Contributor
Contributor

Installing network components seems to stop the installation

Hi,

I have used the past hour to see if I could find any answer on this but where unable to find any.

I am trying to install the VMware player, tried the workstation before this. But it did the same thing, so Now I am trying the player, after I removed every thing I could find from the reg database about VMware, I where able to initiate the installation again, but now it again stops, in the mittle of Installing network components, it states it may take several minuts. But several minuts should not be more than an hour ?

The window is totally unresponsive, can not even move it round on the desktop. I can neighter cancel the installation. But as I before tried the workstation, and it did the same I stopped the process and where unable to even install it again, or uninstall it, not even through add remove programs. This where why I tried to remove what I found regarding the VMware products in the registration database.

Please any one help.....

I am totally at a loss here.

/Ulf Kvistborg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Are you sure there aren't any message windows about network device installation, perhaps hidden behind the active window? If there are, you will need to acknowledge them before the installation can continue.

0 Kudos
kvistborg
Contributor
Contributor

I where unable to move the window and minimize it, so I have no idea if there where anything hidden behind this window.

But it seems to now that I used this information

and the cleaner here

and finnally I removed the last items from VMware from the reg database, and another attempt to install it which seemed to make some sort of rollback, that I get it installed again

What really really puzzles me is that there is no application available to completly remove a VMware installation once it have been installed once. Especially when it can fail during the installation. and now there is soo much to remove. a User, some device drivers and some services that needs to be stopped.

A day whent by doing all this. Just because I wanted to upgrade to the workstation instead of the player in a trial version, just to see if it where worth the money, to get the workstation.

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

Despite a failed installation, do you have any files installed to "program files"?

If so, can you post output of "dir > player_files.txt" .

Joakim

0 Kudos