VMware Communities
abypt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing WS 2008 x64

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2008 x64 on VMWare Player / Server,

But i'm getting a black screen says "it's not a 64-bit processor".

I have ran the tool that checks if my processor support 64 bit, and it is.

anynown know what's could be the problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

your processor as well as the BIOS need to support Intel VT-x (or AMD-V) to be able to run 64 bit guests in VMware Player or Workstation. Please check whether your CPU supports VT-x and enable it in the system's BIOS. After modifying this setting in the BIOS you will have to power cycle the system (power off/power on).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

your processor as well as the BIOS need to support Intel VT-x (or AMD-V) to be able to run 64 bit guests in VMware Player or Workstation. Please check whether your CPU supports VT-x and enable it in the system's BIOS. After modifying this setting in the BIOS you will have to power cycle the system (power off/power on).

André

0 Kudos
alex0000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To add to what a.p. wrote, this document should help if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/processor_check.pdf

Note: On hosts with EM64T VT-capable processors, you may not be able to power on a 64-bit
guest, even though the processor check utility indicates that the processor is supported for 64-
bit guests. VT functionality can be disabled via the BIOS, but the processor check utility cannot
read the appropriate model-specific register (MSR) to detect that the VT functionality has been
disabled in the BIOS.

0 Kudos