VMware Communities
xerces8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Input not working suddenly in a VM

Player 16.1.0 build-17198959 on Windows 10 Pro.

It happens every few days that keyboard and mouse input stops working in a virtual machine.

The VM is running Oracle Linux, vmware tools are installed.

I think this happens when the (external) monitor goes to sleep and Windows reshuffles the windows. After that the mouse pointer moves in the VM, but clicks are not registered. Neither does the keyboard work.

A workaround is to enable full screen mode , then it start working again, even if I return to windowed mode.

As I found a workaround this is not very urgent, but a fix would be welcome.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

I think I got this, sort of, at one point, however keyboard was working. The problems was that this happened after some past Windows 10 Feature Upgrade in the VM. I didn't have any quick workaround, but reinstalling VMware Tools helped. It was slightly difficult, at first, but it can be done with a keyboard, only. This wasn't a single case, but affected many Win10 VMs.

In your case, I would suggest reinstalling VMware Tools.

In my case, it was definitely a Windows problem in the VM itself. Windows Updates (mostly just Feature Upgrades, but not completely limited to that) destroys applications - they have done that since Day 1 of Win 10. VMware Tools is one application. If reinstall helps, that is the easy case. Annoying ? ... surely it is.

0 Kudos