VMware Communities
djrichard
Contributor
Contributor

Importing from Acronis image of Vista physical

I've got an Acronis True Image (tib file) that I've made of a phyiscal Windows Vista (32bit) system. It sounds like VMware player can convert that into a virtual system. Has anybody done something like that successfully? If not from Acronis, Ghost instead?

I've given it a go, but when I point VMware player to the acronis tib image, it doesn't do anything that I can tell. I'm assuming I would see some type of progress indicator.

I'm wondering maybe if the problem is that the image is of a multiple partition hard drive, with the active partition being a recovery partition that the OEM (Lenovo) provides.

In case it matters, I'm using Acronis True Image v11. And I'm running VMware player on an XP Pro system.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
djrichard
Contributor
Contributor

While vm player doesn't seem to be importing my acronis images, I can get it to import at least one of my ghost images. That ghost image is of multiple partitions and password protected too, so that means neither of those are an issue.

I've tried importing from all kinds of acronis images and no dice:

• acronis image of phyiscal XP 32-bit (multiple partitions)

• acronis image of physical Vista Business 32-bit (multiple partitions)

• acronis image of physical WinPE (usb stick partition)

When selecting these, vm player thinks about it and then just goes to some default screen.

0 Kudos
AtomicMonster
Contributor
Contributor

You need to convert the image to a file VMWare can support. If you are using Acronis Workstation, you go to Tools > Convert Backup to Virtual Machine (or something like that). Then you can point VMWare to the file. I am in the process of doing this, so I don't know how well it works, but that is how it is supposed to work.

0 Kudos