VMware Communities
xdzgor
Contributor
Contributor

Image problems

Hi, I run vmplayer version 2 on a windows xp machine. I have several "images" from other companies which I use. One of these gives me great problems with the mouse: sometimes I have two pointers, sometimes the mouse pointer cannot be moved over the entire screen. The other images I use are fine, and other people who use the "failing" image report no problems.

What could the problem be with my installation? Can there be some combination of the "image" and my physical hardware?

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Peter,

What is the guest OS of the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
xdzgor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, the guest OS is Windows 2003 server.

/Peter

0 Kudos
xdzgor
Contributor
Contributor

Now I have downloaded the evaluation version of "workstation". After installing something called "vm-tools" in this, it all works without problem.

Now I have to either: buy the workstation edition of vm-ware, or find out if this "vm-tools" is available for vm-player (and if it actually helps the problem I see in vm-player).

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The Tools installation ISOs are already in the Windows host version of Player 2. You must manually connect the appropriate one to your guest's CD-ROM and install the Tools package.

0 Kudos
Beaudin
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem with the pointer, but I have it set up so that Windows XP is the host and Ubuntu 7.04 is the guest.

Where abouts in the VMplayer 2 set-up are the VMware tools and how would you manually set them up? What's interesting is that I have it set up in both XP and Ubuntu that when you hit Ctrl, the the pointer is shown on the screen. When I hit Ctrl while in Ubuntu, there are actually two cursors that are found, but only one is visible (for most of the time). Once in a while I actually get two cursors visible when I try and get to the VMPlayer toolbar.

The website below has some steps on how to install VMware tools in VMplayer, but I haven't been able to try it out yet.

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Installing_VMware_Tools_with_VMware_Player.html

Any help would be great. I'm really new to setting up VMs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos