VMware Communities
avilte
Contributor
Contributor

IDE:0 Error starting an NT4 VM

Hi. I' have used Vmware Convert from windows to create Virtual Machine (VM) for a NT4Server. I try open this VM in other pc with vmware server for windows it does it correctly, but not open on a linux ubuntu server with vmware server. This is error: "cannot connect virtual device ide0:0."..

I can use vm created from windows in on linux with vmware-server or I should use another tool ?

or could the problem be that NT4Server was on a pc with an SCSI-drive and the VM file on ide-dirve and the disk-drive the ubuntu are SATA ?

Please help me! Thank you.

Vilte, Alejandro.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I split this into its own topic, as the thread you initially posted in was older, and about a Win2000 VM.

Please give more details. What version of Player are you running, and what host OS?

Are you saying that the VM works on a Windows host, but not on a Linux one? Most likely there is a problem with an absolute path in the file name parameter of the ide0:0 device, as Windows and Linux OS's have different naming convenions and path syntax.

0 Kudos
zmathis
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem too.

I converted a WinNT 4.0 machine to a VMWare Server image using the latest Converter Boot CD. I am running it on the latest VMWare Server on a host Windows 2003. Any ideas of why this is happening?

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please post your vmx file. I am running NT4 with no problems. Maybe something in your vmx will give us some clues. Also, what CPU, how much RAM for the guest, etc., any info like that might help.

Regards!

0 Kudos