VMware Communities
86ul
Contributor
Contributor

Hwo to expand vdisk of W10-64b in VM 16.1 on Mint 20 Cinnamon?

Hello,

On my Mint 20 Cinnamon I have some troubles with expanding the virtual disk (vdisk) of my virtual W10-64b in VM Workstation Player 16.1 

Q1: I have a physical Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB for my W10-64b. I did not use the physical disk as an disk, because as I understood it during preparation, I have to go by root each time I use W10-64b (see Q2).

Therefore I choose to use that SSD to store the vdisk of my W10-64b as one file. Automatically VM assigned a vdisk of 40Gb to my W10-64b.

210105 - Vdisk for W10-64b on VM.jpg

I would like to expand this vdisk to 200GB. But by clicking on Edit > Hardware > HDD (SCSI) > Expand > "Max: 200,0GB" does 'succesfully' fail this job. Even expanding it to 201GB is 'succesfully' failed in expanding it. Although VM says it was successfully done, W10-64b think it has still a (v)disk of 40GB. As I understand VM this should do the job, right? Or have I to do something inside my virtual W10-64b too?

VMW10-64b.jpg

Q2: If it possible to use the physical SSD of 250GB as the disk itself for my W10-64b without rooting each time I use the VM, I would prefer that over a virtual disk. And to reinstall it all over again it not a big issue for this setup at this moment.

Feel free to just post a relative thread and/or article for one or both questions. 

Thanks

Edit: Typos

A post w10-64b M20C and NixOS 20.09 newbie
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@86ul 

Answer for Q1:

You need to tell Windows to increase the C: drive into the new space.

Solution 2 on this page should help: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/extend-c-drive-windows-10.html

Note this is nothing to do with VMware Workstation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
86ul
Contributor
Contributor

Whoops #Nooby #Q1Solved

A post w10-64b M20C and NixOS 20.09 newbie
0 Kudos