VMware Communities
DonCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

How to use VM made in VPC 2007

I made a Win98SE from scratch using Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 and I would like to be able to use it with VMWare Player. After installing VMWare Player and starting it, it asked for a VMX "virtual machine configuration file." Well, the configuration file created using VPC 2007 is a VMC file and, when I try using that to open my Win98SE VM, it starts to import it but then gives an error message stating that the "Importer has encountered an internal error: boot.ini was not found on the active partition."

How do I use my Win98SE VM with VMWare Player? It works fine in Virtual PC 2007.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Virtual PC and Virtual Server virtual machines with Windows 9x, and non-

Windows guest operating systems (for example, Linux and DOS), are not

compatible with VMware Virtual Machine Importer.

0 Kudos
DonCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response. I also have just found that VMWare Player will not open a WinXP VM made with Virtual PC 2007, giving a Importer error that "\[Reconfig: 0x33] file not found." So, even though VMWare Player is said to support Virtual PC, it apparently doesn't do so at all.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Well Virtual PC 2007 was release sometime after the release of VMware Player, so I would not be surprised if there may be some issues.

At the time VMware Player was release there was only Virtual PC 2004.

I have successfully imported Virtual PC 2004 images into both VMware Workstation 5.x and VMware Player 1.x.

Have you tried the VMware Converter yet?

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

0 Kudos
DonCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Thought I'd just go ahead and make a new VM for Win98SE to use with VMWare Player at http://easyvmx.com/ . After doing so, however, and using Player to format and install Win98SE, I was disappointed to find that the display would only support 16 colors, which doesn't suit my purposes at all.

0 Kudos
DonCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

I've now managed to accomplish what I needed to do using Virtual PC 2007, so I am no longer in need of assistance with my problem. Thanks to Kevin for responding to my questions.

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To get more colors and better performance overall, you need to install VMtools. Before abandoning VM for VPC you should do a little research here in the forums. If you give VM a chance you will see that it outperforms VPC in most tests, as well.

0 Kudos