VMware Communities
a-fathy
Contributor
Contributor

How to troubleshoot a VM that has firewall enabled from another VM on the same network?

I am relatively new to VMware and I was presented with this scenario from a colleague. Are there default/known practices to do such test? Can I from one VM troubleshoot another with Firewall enabled? And How? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This isn’t specific to VMware Workstation and the fact you are running the OSes inside VMs, it’s just regular firewall/network testing.

(If I have understood your question correctly)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a-fathy
Contributor
Contributor

It seems so. But still I don't know how to investigate that. Is there a method to do so?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Google took me to this: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-test-your-firewall-2487969

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

To troubleshoot a VM you read the vmware.log.
To check if a host has open ports in its firewall you use pentesting tools.
Your post does not explain what you actually want to !
An easy to use tool for checking firewalls is Nmap - it can be easily installed on Linux.
If you run the Kali LiveCD several useful tools are already buildin.

Ulli

0 Kudos