VMware Communities
Charrly
Contributor
Contributor

How to take a snapshot in VMware Player

I have a VMware Player 16 and I want to take a snapshot of my current guest OS, I so that there is no simple option like there is in the Pro version. Is it possible? How can do that?

I found this post from 11 years ago that suggest to copy the folder of the guest machine, is it valid option?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Yes. Use VM so that one folder = one VM computer.

The real snapshot of Workstation Pro, has its limitations as well and thus I seldom use it. Folder copy is a 100% snapshot AND a backup of the situation and thus has its merits. Also, copy folder doesn't slow the system down and doesn't cause the VM to grow indefinitely.

Obviously, real snapshot has its own merits.

I hope this clarifies. If not, please ask more.

RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Did you get a satisfactory answer to your question?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

RaSystemlord is correct.
The easy way to do that is by making a copy of the folder of the VM.
But you can only do that when the VM is shut down.
Making snapshots itself is a feature from VMware Workstation Professional.

If you want to make a backup with the VM running in VMware Player then there is another possibility.
You can do so by using my virtual machine backup product (http://vimalin.com)

You don't even have to buy vimalin for that, it is part of the free functionality, just like backup/restore itself are part of the free features (and always will be).

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You can create a snapshot using VMplayer only - however the procedure is not trivial and resolving the snapshot later requires vmware-vdiskmanager.
Actually it would only make sense if you plan to discard the snapshot anyway - after trying some obscure software maybe ....
I explain if that is what you want ...

Ulli

0 Kudos