VMware Communities
EvilstuffGaming
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to stay safe when destroying Windows XP?

Title pretty much, I know certain viruses can escape the VM.

I have Avast antivirus installed, but I'm afraid it isn't enough. Any tips or should I just screw off?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well it's difficult for a virus/malware/ransomware to "escape" but it requires a few precautions.

Here's a small list of tips that may help (in no particular order)

1. Stay up-to-date with the latest version of VMware Player

2. Do not add a network card to your Windows XP virtual machine

3. Do not setup a host-guest shared folder with write access for your Windows XP guest.

ad 2. If your guest requires network access (like your avast antivirus probably needs to stay up to date) then preferably setup a different network segment for your guest as your host. NATting the guest might help a bit, but with NAT your guest _can_ access the host network.

You might also be able to deny outgoing connections from that box.

Do NOT -under any circumstances- browse the internet from that VM.

But really I would prefer to either not run Windows XP or to disconnect the network card, all other options are opening some ways for the bad guys/girls.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well it's difficult for a virus/malware/ransomware to "escape" but it requires a few precautions.

Here's a small list of tips that may help (in no particular order)

1. Stay up-to-date with the latest version of VMware Player

2. Do not add a network card to your Windows XP virtual machine

3. Do not setup a host-guest shared folder with write access for your Windows XP guest.

ad 2. If your guest requires network access (like your avast antivirus probably needs to stay up to date) then preferably setup a different network segment for your guest as your host. NATting the guest might help a bit, but with NAT your guest _can_ access the host network.

You might also be able to deny outgoing connections from that box.

Do NOT -under any circumstances- browse the internet from that VM.

But really I would prefer to either not run Windows XP or to disconnect the network card, all other options are opening some ways for the bad guys/girls.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos