VMware Communities
rsheikh01
Contributor
Contributor

How to setup networking on a VM Player 7 so guest nodes have their own IP and enable direct log in directly?

*Qualifying statement: I am green/newbie trying VM, please be gentle*

1) I have a robust machine 64 bit CPU and 64 bit WIN 7 Pro, 48 GB RAM assigned a static IP address that I could access and use.  However, I could not join it to my domain, but it is okay for now.

2) I have guest OS of WIN 7 pro and RHEL 6.7, they have default install using NAT and use DHCP which gives me network connection as work, if i assign static then becomes public and w/o internet access.

3) Currently with static IP or DHCP i could not directly RDP into the guest node

- Firewalls off between my laptop and virtual host and virtual guests

- Added IP of v-guests in my laptop's hosts file, hosts (in case of RHEL in /etc/hosts)

- V-host is set with static and i could ping it and other machines as well as tracert but not v-guests

What I am trying to do is to have each guest nodes have their own IP, that user could use to directly login to that node without having to interact with virtual host.  I am a novice in networking and will read material pointed to but requesting a 'dummies' level in directions or questions.

I just discovered NAT, LAN segment, but as I said being newbie sucks and it went over my head.  I discovered this community too.  Respectfully requesting guidance, I will read up as well.

Currently i have to give admin access to user on virtual host machine and tell them to start a guest node because of this lack of setup/knowledge.

I thank you for your time in advance.

I thank you for your time
0 Kudos
0 Replies